Subject: [Leica] Re: Old technologies
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Dec 30 17:41:36 2006

As an avid yachtsman I can assure Lug members that there are many
devices and technologies which have remained unchanged for at least a
century or more. I still have, and very occasionally use, a Heath
Hezzanth sextant which is the image of the sextant produced in the
1880s. There are a few changes in the half silvered mirrors but
otherwise it is the same instrument. My Dietz oil lamp, now made in
Germany, is identical to the model produced in New York in the 19th
century. The Perkins diesel engine which powers my boat was first
developed for London taxicabs around 1950. Even the Ithaca Model 37
shotgun which I use to repel pirates of the Caribbean is that same as
that sold in gun stores in the 1930s. Apart from the GPS and
electronics, the newest mechanical device on my boat is probably my
1954 Leica M3.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] Re: Old technologies)
Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Re: Old technologies)