Subject: [Leica] Annie Liebovitz and the Sugar Bowl
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sat Jan 6 13:46:16 2007

Mr. McKee's Diatribith......

R. Clayton McKee wrote:

>Why would I envy her?  She's reportedly quite good at what she does,
>and I'm sure she makes a great deal more money than I do... but I
>don't care for heavily "produced" photographs,  don't find her work
>particularly interesting, couldn't care less about associating with
>"celebrities" (I meet a lot of very interesting people as it is, none
>of whom have anywhere near the kind of ego issues that most
>celebrities I've met are refusing to deal with...), and, while I
>admit that having money is up to a point more fun than not having it,
>I learned years ago that there isn't and never will be enough money
>to make up for doing work I don't like and can't be proud of...
>
>So I don't see anything at all that she has that I would want.  I'm
>glad she's happy with what she does, but I'm equally happy that I'm
>not her.
>
>(And I freakin' bloody HATE walking into a room and hearing "Hey,
>it's the photographer from the paper!!" because ain't getting NOTHING
>interesting after that.)
>//leica-users.org/mailman/listinfo/lug for more information

Clayton:

I wasn't talking envy in the sense you seem to be. I do envy some of the
career decisions she must have made while many of us get sidetracked.
Respecting her accomplishments in no was indicates I want to be her.
There are, I'll admit, many times I don't even want to be me. Much of
this probably relates to news work. To me, newspapers are a very poor
excuse for the 1st Amendment. I have more than my share of press
experience but see little or no saving grace there. Tasteless,
exploitive and a really bad place to garner one's information and world
view.

Walt

Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Annie Liebovitz and the Sugar Bowl)
Message from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Annie Liebovitz and the Sugar Bowl)