Subject: [Leica] Wireless Question
From: rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Sun Jan 7 20:43:10 2007

Hi Tina.  I might be wide of the mark here, but you're describing
issues the I've been dealing with at my parents' place.  There, they
have a cable broadband service comes into the house and hits a
router, which then connects via blue ethernet cable to an Apple
Airport Express.  This then communicates wirelessly with their Apple
Powerbook.  I have taught their Airport to recognise my laptop when
I'm there, but I can only connect to the internet if their laptop is
on and has told the router to 'connect' to their cable broadband
service.

In my own home it's simpler.  I have an ADSL service, which comes out
of the wall and hits an ADSL modem, which is connected by a blue
ethernet cable to an Apple Airport Extreme.  Once these two are on,
any of our laptops can talk through the Airport to the internet,
independently.

So, your 'issue' may be what I experience when visiting my parents.
One computer has to tell the router to hook up with the cable
broadband service before another computer can connect, in this case,
wirelessly.   ?????

A solution may be to identify the software that launches the
connection and copy it across to the laptop you want to use
independently.  Some configuration may be necessary  (eek!)

Rick.