Subject: [Leica] Wireless Question
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun Jan 7 21:01:56 2007

> A solution may be to identify the software that launches the  connection
> and copy it across to the laptop you want to use  independently.  Some
> configuration may be necessary  (eek!)

Both the Apple Airport device and the Linksys router are quite capable of
launching and maintaining ISP connections entirely on their own. They just
have to be told to do it, which, alas, requires actual reading of actual
documentation.

The right way to think about these devices is quite simple. The DSL or
cablemodem provides a connection for one computer. These devices have an
"inside" and an "outside". On the outside, they connct to the DSL or
cablemodem and pretend to be a computer; on the inside, they offer
connections to your computers and pretend to be your ISP. Those inside
connections can be either wired or wireless. The Apple device has one wired
connection and can do 12 wireless; the Linksys device has four wired
connections and can do 11 wireless.

If it is not configured properly, it is quite possible that it needs at
least one computer connected on the inside.

Despite being a Mac user and Apple bigot, I am a big fan of Linksys and tell
all of my friends and relatives to buy them. My current favorite is the
WRT54G.

A brand new Linksys WRT54G router can be had for about US$55 pretty much
anywhere in North America, and it comes with the ability to configure itself
automatically for nearly every ISP and cable company. If I were charged with
solving this problem, I would value my time at $60/hour, assume that it
would take me more than one hour to diagnose and repair the configuraton
problem, and treat the thing as disposable. The "setup wizard" that ships
with modern Linksys routers is worth its weight in
gold.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Reply from rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Message from hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Message from rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Wireless Question)