Subject: [Leica] Re: RF / SLR
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sat Jan 13 00:20:16 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

>  Selling a couple of dozen M8 cameras to members of
> this list will not make much difference in their fortunes.

I'm not sure where you got this idea, but Leica's market is far far
bigger than this list

>  Buying second hand is good for us, but bad for Leica.

This has been argued many times but that still doesn't make it correct.
  A healthy used market supports the pricing of the new equipment.  If
the price of good used equipment were low, indicating  tepid demand,
there would be little reason to buy new - and by discontinuing
production, this is what most manufacturers of film cameras have
responded to.

With high demand for used equipment, the pricing of said hardware is
higher and the less difference there is between used price and new, the
more likely it is that someone will buy new.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Re: RF / SLR)