Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless "smug Europeans"
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Jan 20 22:20:05 2007

Obviously, the situation varies by country, but just to correct
something Douglas wrote: unemployment in Germany (and across Europe in
general) is falling, not rising. The four million figure for Germany
sounds high, but it is down from over 5 million at the beginning of the
year (see: http://www.destatis.de/indicators/d/arb110ad.htm). The same
picture holds in the Netherlands (latest unemployment figure is 224000,
down from 297000 one year ago and 316000 two years ago,
http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/table.asp?HDR=T&LA=nl&DM=SLNL&PA=37948&D1=a&D2=453,465,477,489,501,513,525,537,549,561,573,585,597,609,621,633,645,l&STB=G1)

and so on. So if you are seeing more homeless people than before, it
cannot be because of the economic situation, since that is improving
pretty much everywhere in Europe.

There are of course variations in the strength of the social safety net
across countries. Based on what I know about Denmark, for example, there
is no reason why any legal resident of that country should ever be
homeless. Even after your unemployment insurance runs out, the basic
welfare payment you receive is sufficient to guarantee food, shelter and
other basic necessities. Most of the homeless I see in Copenhagen are
drunks or people with other addictions and/or mental illness. It is a
complex issue: how paternalistic can the state be? Can it force someone
to use their welfare money sensibly rather than spending it all on booze?

In places like Spain or the UK, many of the homeless are illegal
immigrants. In the UK, they may even be legal--for example, some of the
close to 1 million Poles who came to the UK after Poland joined the EU
have not been able to find jobs, and end up on the streets. There are
charities who help them get temporary shelter and pay for the trip back
to Poland.

In Amsterdam, most of the homeless are junkies or addicts of one kind or
another, and many are foreigners. Many are also young--the city attracts
drug addicts from across Europe due to its liberal culture and the ease
with which they can blend in.

And so on.

Nathan

--