Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless "smug Europeans"
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Jan 21 00:49:34 2007

My daughter worked with homeless people for some years. She now works
with the mentally ill. She knows most of the homeless in Oxford and
can tell their stories.
Apparently the largest single group of homeless people are mentally
ill who are not considered dangerous. They were released onto the
streets in what was euphemistically called the "care in the
community" programme by Maggie Thatcher's government in the '80s. It
was one of the ways she paid for the tax cuts. The second largest
group are ex-services personnel, long termers are often
institutionalised and lost any family life they had by the time their
term ends. Older long term unemployed, divorced men expelled from the
family home and people with drug problems  are there too.
There is some aggressive begging, but not often. People sell "the Big
Issue" on the street, they keep 50p on each sale I think. I buy lots
of them.
Frank

Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] photographing the homeless "smug Europeans")