Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 shutter
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Mon Jan 22 19:22:23 2007

As noted earlier, I've been out with an borrowed M8.

Yes, I've noticed the shutter noise. Since I like to take candid shots,
the noise is louder than I would prefer. It seems to be the antithesis
of what an M should sound like. That's certainlyi something for them to
remedy.

That said, I must admit I like the camera. I did well hand-holding it
at 1/8 of a second. I like that, esp. since it was in a NYC subway.

It doesn't bother me that it isn't autofocus.

I shot with my 21mm pre-aspherical and I liked the results. I got a
number of photos I like. That's always the bottom line.

What I don't know is whether I will like digital prints. If I don't, it
won't matter if the camera is by Leica, Canon, or Nikon.

I stopped in a bar and had a cup of tea. The bartender is a
photographer and looked at the camera. He liked how it seemed to be
retro. In that respect, Leica has succeeded.

The camera is borrowed. I don't know if I would buy one. I do know, I
was pleasantly surprised. Good for them.

Doug