Subject: [Leica] B+W IR filters
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Mon Jan 29 20:27:09 2007

Windows NTFS 4 is milspec and it's one of the worst OS's I've ever seen for
the applications that we had to use it for (Advanced 3d graphics.
Processing & predicting acoustic waveforms in the water column.)  For the
most part it was a decent word processor, but once we asked a little too
much beyond simple calculations, it went belly up.  We had some of the
fastest computers in the world at our disposal too but the OS didn't like
what we wanted it to do.  Back in 2002, my dept. finally got the go-ahead to
build and run a LINUX workstation which never so much as hiccupped with even
the most advanced predictions we asked it to run.  Ask most anyone who
worked daily with military computers in the last 8 years and they will have
the same complaints about the OS until the military switched over to Win
2000 finally in 2005.  Now it's just outdated, but a little more stable than
the old NT4.
I'm all for the milspec stuff & know that those things that work, really
work well.
Philip