Subject: [Leica] IMG: definitely not taken with a Leica
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Wed Jan 31 16:30:17 2007

I'm coming to like the look of the photo more and more.  It was basically
made with a small light box inverted and shining through a color negative on
a flatbed scanner.  Since the flatbed couldn't correct for the orange mask
with the normal fluorescent light of the box providing the illumination, I
treated it as a black & white image, adding a bit of yellow and red to give
it a touch of the sepia look.  Scanning as a grayscale image would provide a
little more range & perhaps bump up the quality a bit.

As for the 2C, I'd recommend against it.  Not that I don't like it, I love
the camera, but there are better, more plentiful versions out there.  The
Kodak 2C was the economy model fitted usually with a 5.5" 2 element single
group meniscus lens in ball bearing shutter.  One lovely thing about it is
that these shutters just keep working.  They are cocked and actuated on
depressing the button or cable release so through the years of storage, the
shutters have not been sitting at max tension with precision clockwork
mechanisms to gall up.  It's simplicity and it's wonderful.

The better camera to get would be a Kodak 3A Autographic which takes the
even larger 122 format.  Converted to 120/220 use it yields a 6x14 negative.
The lenses are just a hair sharper but still unit focusing so using the
large scale on the bellows is easy.  Fortunately Kodak flooded the market
with 116, 122 and 130 folder cameras so they are very plentiful, making a
potential engineering/hacking project seem not so bad when you know you're
not cutting up a rare antique.  This is no Ernemann Tropical mahogany field
camera, it's rather more the Canonet of the day.  The biggest advantage of
the 3A over the 2C is the quality of the front standard.  The 2C is heavy
black painted stamped metal with no control besides in and out focus
movement.  The 3A has a much higher quality cast metal front standard, is
more rigid and provides 13mm of lens rise (when the camera is positioned
long axis vertically.)  I'm really wanting to stick a 90mm lens on a 3A and
take it to NYC to play around with vertical panoramas using the lens shift.
The 2C provides no movement really aside from a little guesstimation tilt by
unlocking the back and crossing one's fingers.

What I'm planning for the current 2C is to replace the meniscus lens with a
Graflex 90mm Optar giving me a very wide angle of view.  Roughly equivalent
to a 28mm lens on 35mm format.  The physical dimensions of the Graflex lens
and also the Schneider 1st gen Angulon 90 f/6.8 enable the camera to be
refitted with newer wide-angle lens in shutter, folded up and closed just as
the original.  Those two lenses are quite small and portability of my
panoramic camera is a big issue.  Sure, I could carry around a 4x5 with 6x14
back and a tripod, but this way I have a camera that folds up into quite a
neat package and deploys quickly when needed.
All this for the price of the wide lens, a camera body that runs about $20
used and a little bit of time to engineer the modifications.  Much less than
today's 6x12 or 6x14 offerings from the custom camera makers.

Philip