Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed Jan 31 17:08:07 2007

Robert,

I don't play on the Windows side in any way but I sure am impressed
with what HP has been doing in terms of their user-experience for
delivered products. I've unpacked a few of them and found the
instructions to be without peer, even better than Apple's. Maybe the
best instructions I have ever used.

I used to really trust HP as a company. No longer, what with all their
idiocy at the board level, but they still know how to engineer and
create good products and now their designs are truly done world-wide.

As a Mac guy I'm always there to boost it - but if you have lots of
software and experience using Windows, and you aren't having the
down-side of Windows because you're sophisticated enough to set up and
maintain your system to be virus/spyware free, why change and lose the
productivity while you relearn another way to do things? I find that
Photoshop on the PC feels alien to me and imagine that you'd find the
same experience on the Mac coming over from Windows.

I won't get into all the arguing and brick-bat throwing that goes with
whether one system is better built than another. I know that my G5
desktop system is like a rock - fast and stable. My laptops have been
very good. More expensive? I don't know. But if you buy a system of
equal capability from HP or Dell I have to think the Mac would come in
about the same price: much of the chip set is the same. There will be
fewer driver issues on the Mac because the hardware is owned by Apple
which makes things a lot easier and most Windows people who complain
seem to have driver issues at some point (as I hear them).

Hope this helps. Keep your life simple.

Adam