Subject: [Leica] quick release plates
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jan 31 19:31:18 2007

On 1/31/07 10:16 PM, "Jeff S. Matsler" <jeffmatsler@amaonline.com> typed:

> Hello,
>
> For RF's?
>
> Unless you just insist upon spending the money for a serious SLR ball head
> /
> release platform, get a Bogen.

A serious choice would not be Bogen which has a minute market share among
serous photographers and Pro's now. Its all swung to Arca Swiss in the past
ten years. And for good reason. Much better design and craftsmanship.
I never could get Bogens to work for me. I got good at catching my cameras
on a fly though as they fell from the top of my tripod at the spur of the
moment. Swore off quick release for good.

Actually the ball head I'm using now on my Gitzo sport is a Manfrotto.
Which I'm told is Italian for Bogen.
A Manfrotto ProBall 308.
Cheap and elegant. Two words which don't usually go together in my world as
I know it darn it.

But those Bogan hex plates and little square plates or ugly and unreliable
and inefficient. But otherwise just great.

The Arca Swiss standard is maintained by Kirk and RRS and all the cool CCS
companies. Or is it CCI?

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N