Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Feb 1 14:03:43 2007

Bob - Keep the old machine for your office functions. Buy a local
newer dual-processor PC and dedicate it to Photoshop only. Get
minimum 2gb memory. Keep it lean and clean. Have the local shop put
in their smallest IDE hard drive for your boot OS and a RAID5 with
SATA drives for your photo storage. Three 250GB SATAs will
redundantly store 500GB. When (not if) one drive fails, you don't
lose any data. Cost of the RAID disks and adapter -  about
$400.  Make sure you local guys understand RAID. Add a Hard Drive
tray for backup to cheap, removable IDE drives that can be stored as
offsite backup (buy cheap 5400rpm IDE drives on eBay). Use a KVM
switch so both machines use one keyboard and mouse, along with a new
monitor for the Photoshop PC. If you still have money left over, put
in the highest speed SCSI card you can afford, connected to a 18gb or
36gb 15000rpm drive (e.g. Seagate Cheetah)  as your Photoshop scratch
drive. Spend money on a $150 color monitor calibrator as first
priority. Put a dual video card on the new machine, and configure
your new PC to use the old monitor for your Photoshop tools windows.
Switch to the old monitor with the KVM when you do e-mail on the old
PC. Use the older PC for testing new programs and put as few programs
on the new PC as possible.

Have your local dealer keep an eye out for recent trade-ins by
computer gamers. They seem to like the latest stuff, and their one
year old PC can make an excellent foundation for the above configuration.

PCs are like sports cars - lots of horsepower, not much torque. Keep
'em lightly loaded; they aren't freight trucks.

Gary Todoroff
(Tree LUGger)
http://northcoastphotos.com/