Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Feb 1 16:24:49 2007

>and today I never hear somebody talk about Windows 98.
>
>Saludos codiales
>Luis

I still run Windows 98 on an old PC that ONLY runs my Quick Books
program. Since I don't do payroll (only reason for getting the latest
version of QB), this old setup just keeps chugging away printing
invoices and checks - just wish there was an easy way to get it to
print more invoices! The QB database is on my server (Win XP), so is
backed up every day. I don't use this office PC for ANYTHING
ELSE!  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Windows 98 is just fine on this box.

This PC is another example of my philosophy of spreading the load
over multiple PC's, never allowing any one computer to get bogged
down. They seem to break when asked to carry too heavy a load, unlike
the old mid-range computers I used to program. Old war horses like
the HP3000 or IBM System/38 could be loaded with a hundred tasks at
once and they simply slowed down, eventually finished all the jobs,
and never crashed.

Gary Todoroff

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?)
Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?)