Subject: [Leica] Re: Eric's pic
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Feb 3 11:26:42 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 12:37 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Eric:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2bh8y9
>
> Way cool.  Almost has an otherly world feel to it.  Very nice.
> This is
> another time when I wish I were looking at a real print instead of a
> monitor.  This should be hanging up somewhere.

While Eric's picture of snow covered woods would be nice as a print,
I feel that pictures of high contrast scenes are best viewed on a
quality monitor. The maximum contrast a print can deliver is about
50:1, limited, of course by the reflectivity of the paper and the
maximum depth of black. The actual scene in the woods probably has a
contrast of 1000:1. If you have a bright monitor and view the picture
in a shaded room, you can get a visual contrast approaching the
original scene. It's the same phenomenon that makes projected color
slides look better than color prints. Either way, it's a great picture.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] Re: Eric's pic)