Subject: [Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Thu Feb 8 20:58:22 2007

> On 2/8/07 11:16 PM, "Alastair Firkin" <firkin@ncable.net.au> typed:
>

>>> They don't even have to be circular so you can get a cheaper one.
>>>
>>> Get an octagon one! Much cheaper I'm sure.
>>>
>>> 55mms is small compared to the average filter all those DSLR guys get
>>> with
>>> their 2.8 Yuban coffee can zooms.
>>>
>>> 77mm is the standard now!!!
>>>
>>> I remember when it was 52mms for Nikon, 55mms for Canon, 48mms for
>>> Olympus.
>>> ...like it was sunny yesterday!
>>>
>>> And 43mms for Olympus Pen F
>>
>> 55mm for my slew of minolta lenses: still have them and the filters:
>> really should have sold them before the digital crash ;-)
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Did you get weird effects if you put Canon Filters on your Minolta lens?

Weird might have been a help for my imagery ;-)

> I remember the Hype was Nikon made there own glass for their fitters while
> Canon got theirs from somewhere else. So that was a big deal. For
> somebody.
> I never knew anybody who could AFFORD a Nikon filter.

Yes, I remember the same hype at Minolta: they always made a big issue
about making their own glass and filters etc. I sorta like that sorta
thing and thats why I love the Leica hype ;-)

Minolta filters were very "slim" I bought a yellow one because the guy in
the store in Singapore told me it would enhance the clouds: but all it did
was turn all my kodachromes yellow. It was 1972 after all ;-)

Cheers

Alastair

Replies: Reply from mark.teampope at ntlworld.com (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted)