Subject: [Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Feb 10 14:27:25 2007

> What are your impressions of the following lenses?
> Canon EF 24-70mm L f2.8 USM
>
> Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
>
> Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM

I have all of those lenses. I'm not much of an ultrawide guy, so I use the
16-35 only for architectural interior shots, and I get it off the camera as
fast as I can. The 70-200 is a great lens, but it's tremendously heavy and
increases the weight of an already heavy camera. The IS works, but you
wouldn't need it if the camera weighed less.

If I'm shooting people with the Canon, I put the 85/1.2L on it and stop
thinking about the lens. It's a lens of the same quality as a Summilux 75
ASPH but it requires that I lug around a giant Canon DSLR. If I'm shooting
anything else, or if I'm just carrying the camera around in case I need to
shoot something, I put the 24-70/2.8L on it.

But these days I mostly carry the M8 and keep hoping that my IR filters will
come in the mail.

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)
Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)