Subject: [Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Feb 10 10:13:46 2007

Since I won't be buying an M8, and waiting for an M9 -not being sure
if it will be worth all the bucks, and if it will be full sensor- is
not really an option, I have some decisions to make.
Digital has always been a bit on the side: not that I don't have good
digital cameras, but the ones that I have, have their quirkinesses.
Until now, that wasn't a problem, because most of the time that I was
really concentrating on photography, it was still an analog process.
But the beast of full digital has been roaring in my head for too
long now.
So I've come to the conclusion that, to keeps things simple and
pleasant, digital is the way to go, even if my hearth still tends to
these mechanical beauties that were made in former eras.
I'll go the Canon 5D route, and I have almost decided on lenses, too.
I'm pretty sure that a lot of you switched to or embraced Canon, so
some first hand experiences would help to smoothen out the 'fear' for
the steep costs involved.

What are your impressions of the following lenses?
Canon EF 24-70mm L f2.8 USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM

Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM

And, if you'd only keep one lens on your analog M, which one would
that be?

I was thinking of selling everything except for one good M body, and
then buying a Summilux 35 ASPH to glue on it forever. A perfect B&W
street dedicated machine, so to speak.

Other -and wise(r)- suggestions?

Thanks,

Philippe