Subject: [Leica] Custom white ballance <WAS>: I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Mon Feb 19 08:24:51 2007

A few months ago I did some testing with my Expo disk (the name of the
gadget you stick on the front of your lens to white balance).  It was a
slow day and I had an idea to try to get it to balance to a "warmer"
cast as to me the expo disk was too cool.

First I took an old 77mm UV filter (all my EOS lenses are 77mm) and cut
a piece of diffusion gel and stuck in the filter.  I used this to Custom
WB, it looked about the same as the expo disk.  I then cut a 1/4 plus
blue and stuck that in both the expo disk and in the filter diffusion
gel thing.  This delivered a more pleasing, to me, WB.  Keep in mind
when I shot chrome I almost always used 81A filters on my lenses to give
a slight warm cast to my images.  Now I get a similar effect with no
filters.

You can see the test images here:

http://www.pbase.com/2plus2/test

Look at the last ones looking over the construction machine and houses
from the deck.

If you have an expo disk they are very easy to use, if not save the
money and get a sheet of diffusion material and a filter stick it in
there and you have an homemade expo disk for 1/10 the cost.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Custom white ballance <WAS>: I Tried an M8; Color Question)