Subject: [Leica] re: Exposure and Development
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri Mar 2 07:28:28 2007

George

1. I am only addressing B&W film processing and will leave digital to
the new age shooters.(shoot E-6 and watch your highlights as was stated)

2. It is really such basic concept I'm amazed to see it flagellated to
death.

3. The low end of the scale responds differently to development that the
high end. No amount of processing will provide shadow  detail once the
shutter button is pressed. This has nothing to do with technique, fine
or otherwise, but is almost written in stone.

4.  Mark could use his "technique" and have good results in situations
where the brightness range cooperates. Highlights aren't generally
placed, they fall. That is why knowing how to interpret one's meter is
so important.

5. Once a person understands the basic premise there is no such thing as
over or under exposure. If, and only if, they understand and utilize
some basic procedures. ( here it comes, the "P" word. Previsualization)

6. Most importantly is the final camera setting....F8 and be
there.....Exactly what the Leica was designed for. Anything else and
you're better off with a Nikon and Micro Nikkor, especially when doing
the Petunia thing. :-P

Walt