Subject: [Leica] re: Exposure and Development
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Mar 2 06:34:47 2007

The point I wished to make in starting this thread:
Fine photographic technique requires that the photographer 'know'
where s/he wants shadows and highlights fall on the negative,
transparency and/or chip. This requires knowledge of how to control
the shadows and highlights through the use of exposure and
development of the material, whether chemical or digital.

If Mark controls this by concentrating on perfect highlight placement
for his process without concern for the shadows - that's fine -
that's his technique and apparently he achieves the results he desires.

I, as others, prefer, when using black and white film, to control
shadows through exposure and highlights through development; unless
the subject demands a different approach.

What we want to avoid is over or under exposure and over or under
development - implying errors - rather than fine technique.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] re: Exposure and Development)