Subject: [Leica] re: Exposure and Development
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Mar 2 12:49:00 2007

On 3/2/07 10:28 AM, "Walt Johnson" <walt@waltjohnson.com> typed:

> George
>
> 1. I am only addressing B&W film processing and will leave digital to
> the new age shooters.(shoot E-6 and watch your highlights as was stated)
>
> 2. It is really such basic concept I'm amazed to see it flagellated to
> death.
>
> 3. The low end of the scale responds differently to development that the
> high end. No amount of processing will provide shadow  detail once the
> shutter button is pressed. This has nothing to do with technique, fine
> or otherwise, but is almost written in stone.
>
> 4.  Mark could use his "technique" and have good results in situations
> where the brightness range cooperates. Highlights aren't generally
> placed, they fall. That is why knowing how to interpret one's meter is
> so important.
>
> 5. Once a person understands the basic premise there is no such thing as
> over or under exposure. If, and only if, they understand and utilize
> some basic procedures. ( here it comes, the "P" word. Previsualization)
>
> 6. Most importantly is the final camera setting....F8 and be
> there.....Exactly what the Leica was designed for. Anything else and
> you're better off with a Nikon and Micro Nikkor, especially when doing
> the Petunia thing. :-P
>
> Walt

Walt! you can pull out the Ansel Adams Examples book and read the
descriptions on the right there with the pix on the left there are plenty of
shots where he goes for the highlights first. In effect placing them. Then
in effect worries about the shadows as a second consideration.
More than a few in there. A third of them perhaps. I went through it once
and put post-its on them. Which I invented.
The guys who followed him almost always did this. And gals.

It does not contest how film works.

You can have your density of your important highlight be anything you want
it to be through development.
But if you've placed it too high on the curve its just not going to
separate. And you're going to have the heartbreak of fuzzy crushed
highlights.  And when that happens you have an image which jumps out at you
as just plainly right up front not viable.
Much more so than an image whose shadows don't open up enough. An oversight
one could pin on many famous highly successful images if you peer into them
long enough.

So exposure is a big deal highlight wise. Just as critical as in shadows.

So one does end up in the end exposing for highlights just like in slides.

Yes it does sound heretic. Which is way its so much fun!

Rabs #1 rule:
It's always what you don't think.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s