Subject: [Leica] PAW - heninger - Portrait
From: heninger at adobe.com (Wade Heninger)
Date: Fri Mar 2 11:48:44 2007

So I setup some hotlights with reflectors and shot my first non-existing
light portrait.

I've always focused on natural light but I decided to play around with some
lights as a learning experience.  Its the getting there that is fun, I
guess.

Here is the image:

http://heninger.org/paw

The last image is the one I refer to.

As a complete lighting neophyte, I put the key light at 45 degrees and the
fill light to the right of the camera.  Just like the book says - a good
starting point.

I like the lighting effect overall, but have some questions about the
catchlight in the eyes - the two white dots in the left eye bug me.

What do people do with this?  Is this a faux-pas of the uninitiated, or is
it normal.  What would you do different?

BTW, this shot was taken with a Canon 1.2 50 I just purchased off of a
lugger.  This was shot wide open at 1.2, ISO 160 and 1/180.  Had to punch up
the contrast a bit more than normal in Lightroom.

Its got a very different characteristic than my leica glass, but I can see
it as having its own value.

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
u s e r  e x p e r i e n c e
a d o b e  s y s t e m s ,  i n c