Subject: [Leica] re: Exposure and Development
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Mar 2 12:20:46 2007

On 3/2/07 9:34 AM, "Lottermoser George" <imagist3@mac.com> typed:

> The point I wished to make in starting this thread:
> Fine photographic technique requires that the photographer 'know'
> where s/he wants shadows and highlights fall on the negative,
> transparency and/or chip. This requires knowledge of how to control
> the shadows and highlights through the use of exposure and
> development of the material, whether chemical or digital.
>
> If Mark controls this by concentrating on perfect highlight placement
> for his process without concern for the shadows - that's fine -
> that's his technique and apparently he achieves the results he desires.
>
> I, as others, prefer, when using black and white film, to control
> shadows through exposure and highlights through development; unless
> the subject demands a different approach.
>
> What we want to avoid is over or under exposure and over or under
> development - implying errors - rather than fine technique.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george@imagist.com

Logic would make one think that as exposures "job" is control of the shadows
and development is for the highlights then the first thing you'd be metering
for is the shadows. I'm saying that that's surprisingly not the way it tends
to work in most shots with most people in actual practice.
People place their highlights through exposure and worry about shadows
later. Which may mean if they have the time they'll do a reading and see
where the shadows are going to "fall" at that exposure. But in many images
shadows are a second priority and if they fall past the gamut people are not
going to over expose to get them.
That's my point.
People hear expose for shadow develop for highlight and they thin they're
going to place the shadow with their spot meter then through development
have the highlight fall where ever they want it to.
It just doesn't end up happening after they're first photo outing.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com