Subject: [Leica] Supersize me
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed Mar 7 08:02:31 2007

It would be a boon to public health advocates if a 5 patty burger and fries
or a bucket of fries chicken should cost $25.  Or better yet if the price
of corn syrup approached that of oil.  It would be nice if fresh food were
less expensive then the crap, but it ain't in my hood.  I can get a 40 oz
beer for less then a 1/2 gal of milk.  Who does this disproportionately
affect?  I've never seen a vegetable on a billboard that I can recall
anywhere in Brooklyn.  But not to worry the market will take care of us all.

At 10:31 AM 3/7/2007, you wrote:
>Walt
>Myself I'm always astonished about these damage claims - the US laws for
>product and producer's liability are much tougher than around here (Europe
>I mean). Personally I find it's up to each own's responsibility what he
>does to his health. If regulating smoking and obesity, then there could be
>done much more against it if the typical diseases resulting from it would
>be excluded from the basic health insurances (or coupled with a
>significant higher fee or percentage share). In Switzerland, a smoker
>costs half a million francs in average - smoking related illness costs
>only - and after subtracting the tobacco taxes he paid with every box of
>cigarettes.
>Didier
>

> >Didier
> >
> >Unfortunately, you are probably right. I can picture it now, with a 300
> pound woman tearfully telling the jury " the Burger King made do it". The
> destructive element of this scenario jumps out and bites like a snake. As
> long as we blame everyone and everything but ourselves we don't stand a
> chance. Who doesn't realize what a Whopper and fries  does to their
> svelteness?  Nonetheless, it goes according to plan. The obese woman
> cries, the jury sniffles, Oprah has tears running down her cheek for the
> close up and we all lose.
> >
> >Burger King hands out a whopper of a cash settlement, and raises the
> price for their delicacies. The obese woman takes he new found wealth,
> buys a gold-plated scooter  to zip up and down the junk food aisles. The
> rest of us? Who knows, maybe we continue to stuff ourselves silly in
> preparation for the next ice age. :-)
> >
> >Walt
> >
> >Didier Ludwig wrote:
> >>The day will come where these companies will be taken to court and
> claimed for damages for selling ill making goods - like the tobacco
> industry. Kellogs (corn flakes) for instance has already begun to use
> wholemeal ingredients and lowered the sugar contents - after they got
> tons of bad press articles about making kids fat.
> >>Didier

Chris Saganich, Sr. Physicist
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu