Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 8 01:59:50 2007

On 3/8/07 2:25 AM, "Didier Ludwig" <leica@screengang.com> typed:

> The disappointing thing is that a Digilux-3 with that Summicron is even
> fatter
> and more expensive as a fullframe Canon 5D with 50/1.4. I believed the 4/3
> system (with a sensor in quarter-frame size) would lead to more compact
> bodies
> and lenses, which might excuse it's flaws like exceedingly high ISO noise
> and
> AF slowness.
> Didier

Well they came out with a Sony mini point and shoot compact with an APS-C
format CCD in the back instead of the tiny ones they've usually got back
there the size of regular 8 not super 8 film.
You'd think if that didn't start a trend (it didn't) they'd at least be able
to come out with a 4/3's format version which is almost exactly half the
size of that CCD. But 3 or 4 times bigger than what's they normally come
with. All people think about is high megapixels count.
But they've somehow not de chunk-a-fied the 4/3s so far.
They're overgrown modular high end point and shoots.
It has to be intention. They want the format to be taken seriously.
And it is from what I can gather.
Sometimes the image of the camera is more important than the image the
camera creates.

The fact is that more and more magazine work is being done with the 4/3
format. Its perfect for it. We saw the Sports Illustrated bathing suit issue
guy. Just the tip of the new iceberg.

And that certainly does not back up the big need for the "full frame"
24x36mm digital format as the be all end all it gets touted constantly as..
Its overkill by far for anything which gets halftoned as in gets printed in
an off set printer. As APS-C may also be at 1.5 x smaller its size.

Both way way way overkill for web work.

I wish when people make these constant comments bemoaning everything which
is not 24x36mm digital format what they're planning on using the shots
they'd take with that format for? Hence its need. I'd like to hear.
Its not like everyone's all of a sudden in the mural biz. Or point of
purchase large graphics of some kind biz.

I see 24x36mm digital format as a niche without a need format between APS-2
and medium format digital formats.  The need for it is where I'm all ears?
There's this odd perceived need. Vapor-need. A solution without a problem.
Would they be nice for 17x20s?
Maybe I don't know I just got my printer and it will be set up in the next
day or so I'll be seeing if my prints from other formats are hurting all
that much. I don't think APS-2 17x20s are going to look thin at all.
Especially using a slow speed ASA tab grained Sandisk.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com