Subject: [Leica] Re: Spotmatic
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Mar 16 12:57:58 2007

On 3/16/07 9:30 AM, "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@gmail.com> typed:

> I was just in a shop to pick up some darkroom supplies (the little
> they had left) and took the opportunity to check out the D40. I had
> never seen it.
>
> Beautiful size. I hear that Nikon really got the signal processing
> right with this one too. They've had that sensor a long time now, so
> they probably know it inside and out now.
>
> Daniel

Its not the same as on the D80 sensor which has won all kinds of awards and
"beat out" all kinds of competition in "shoot outs" in the 10 mg range I
think a POP PHOTO thing.

But its no worse. Maybe even better.
I think its the very same one but its a PR thing.

The D40 right now not selling for peanuts $ 582.95 the nonplussed version
6.1 Megapixel,

But $ 729.95 B&H for the 10.2 Megapixel plus version. I think it will sell
for 6 something soon. But I'll get mine this month.

It will be my first camera with pictograms on the top of a a women in early
50s style hat in profile. I shoot a lot of women in early 50s style hats so
I'd use that mode often.

Or a picture of a mountain top.
I shoot lots of those. A handy mode. But does it have to be a black mountain
against a white sky? I usually use flash Phil for such shots.

A child with hands raised crying wearing little hat.
I Never shoot those little monsters. I value my own life.

A gender non specific  hurdle jumper minus the hurdle itself.
Not a real sports shooter here. I might black that mode out with a sharpie.

A close up of a tulip. Minus windmill.
I shoot those at least once a year. A grey sharpie.

A white person with a white shirt against a black sky with apparently the
planet venues or maybe a satellite over its right shoulder.
I quote:
Night Portrait: This mode focuses on the closest subject in a lowlight
situation and then calculates a balanced exposure for both
the foreground and the background. For the sharpest pictures, a
tripod is recommended.

I don't think I can remember all that. I might get confused and use a flash.
They what would happen?

What about campfire light portrait? No mode for that? They'd have their
mouth open as they're singing a campfire song.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com