Subject: [Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Sat Mar 17 11:55:24 2007

I would like to follow Ted's advice and just take this Noctilux
everywhere, but I am having an issue with focus, and I don't know
whether it is me, the lens, the M8, or all three.

The lens seems to focus slightly beyond where I think the focus
should be.  I am using the 1.25x eyepiece magnifier to help, but it
still is there.

If I try shooting at a ruler, at the closest focus around 3.5 feet,
the focus seems to be maybe 0.5 to 1.0 inches beyond the focus I
set.  (Of course, when hand holding I am probably swaying more than
that.)  With the shallow DOF at f/1, this is enough to put an eye out
of focus.

I have tried using the C mode when shooting at f/1, and fire off a
series of exposures while I ever so slightly rotate the focus further
away.  This actually works, and almost guarantees that one of the
exposures has the focus I want.  It is not really how I want to
shoot, however.

Another embodiment of the C mode method would be to first have a
drink of scotch, focus, and while shooting a run of exposures sway
forward slightly into the scene.

So, what are your thoughts?  Should I:

1.  Send the lens & M8 to Leica for a checkup, and forget about the
camera for two months?
2.  Send the lens & M8 to someone other than Leica?
3.  Just send the M8 in for a checkup?
4.  Just use the C mode method?  If so, which brand of scotch do you
think would work best?
5.  Send myself for a checkop?

Cheers,
Bob Rose

Robert Rose
robert.rose@mac.com
Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom
are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded
rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
Louis Brandeis, Olmstead v. US (1928)

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([spam] [Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch)