Subject: [Leica] Focus, Noctilux, M8, C Mode & Scotch
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Mar 19 09:17:18 2007

The view finder is parallax corrected. The range finder windows sit
above the lens (when camera is horizontal) and never truly relate to
the center of the lens except as to the relationship between the film
plane (chip plane) and the plane of focus.

Here's what Joe Englander had to say on Leica Camera User list:
entire thread at <http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/
18053-testing-focusing-accuracy.html?highlight=focus+test>

I haven't gone through all the posts about the M rangefinder and its
lenses focusing inaccurately, but I have read enough of them--
especially regarding the 35/1.4 ASPH-- and of the techniques used to
come to their author's conclusions, that I am motivated to point out
what looks like specious technique. The conclusions and their
explanations may be correct but since the method seems suspect,
correct conclusions would be more by accident than accuracy. I am not
saying that M lenses are not sometimes in need of adjustment, nor
that M rangefinders do not go out of whack, nor that there are not
focus shifts inherent in various designs, only that one of the most
popular techniques for testing focusing accuracy is probably not
appropriate.

In order to test a precision apparatus, there ought to be an
appropriate, precise and repeatable testing technique. Using a target
stretching away from a tilted camera is not such a technique for
rangefinder cameras, especially if you want to be precise. Such a
method may be appropriate for testing focusing through the lens but
the rangefinder itself is neither at the same height nor at the same
position as the lens being tested.

The finder window is above and to the side; this is obvious, but its
importance for testing focus seems to be overlooked. Distances are
calculated from the finder window and it is not centered above the
lens. The M compensates framing for parallax but does not shift the
focusing mechanics in the same way for closer subjects. If the camera
is tilted 45 degrees toward a ruler, the rangefinder itself is now
CLOSER by a measurable amount to the target than the center of the
sensor. This difference in distance may be enough to influence any
critical testing of focusing. The rangefinder cannot be accurate both
for its position and for a position that is behind it, eg, the center
of the sensor. When people complain about 10 or 20 mm of inaccuracy
and I can see that the rangefinder of a titled camera is that much
forward of the imaging plane, it seems likely that the angle and not
the rangefinder is the problem.

The same phenomenon would hold for tilting the target where one side
of the target is closer to one side of the camera than the other: the
viewing & range finding window is not the same distance from the
target as the lens and the center of its sensor.

The only technique I know that avoids this problem and that is
available to users for testing the near-distance focusing accuracy of
M lenses and rangefinders is to have a target that is absolutely
parallel to the imaging plane, to focus on that target and then to
change the distance between the target and the camera by small
distances without changing the lens' focus. Evaluation of the
accuracy of focus is based on comparison of the resulting images.

The best method I have found for assuring absolute parallelism--and
it must be absolute, not "sort of"--is to use two mirrors, one
attached to the camera lens and one attached to the target, one of
which has a hole in it for viewing (with rangefinders this one is on
the target). While peering through the mirror attached to the target,
the target is adjusted until an infinite reflection is seen in the
tripod-mounted camera's mirror.

Either the target or the camera can then be moved closer or farther.
But since parallelism must be maintained, I have found that mounting
the camera on a micrometer macro focusing rail is easiest. The camera
is then moved back and forth in increments as small as you like. Your
lens and camera may be best at a zero position or it may be better
closer or farther from the target. There may be shifts of focus based
on aperture or they may not be appreciable, after all. Ultimately, I
have always been amazed at how accurate the Leica equipment is and
how often I have found that any focusing inaccuracies were frequently
due to operator error.

When there have been inaccuracies, I have been much more confident of
my conclusions using this technique because it is repeatable and the
results are comparable. I can compare my results with others'; with
the tilted camera method, that is unlikely and probably explains a
lot of the variation in forum member's results. If I get different
results at different times, the problem is most likely my technique
similar to making pronouncements after miss-focusing in the field. If
the best results are -10 mm on the first and subsequent iterations
with one lens but 0 with another, I am certain the problem is the
lens and can evaluate whether I think that at 1 meter I will ever be
able to focus within that error while both my subject and I are
breathing. Clearly, if it is -20mm with all lenses, there is a
problem with the camera. I always hope to find it is my error because
it is easier for me to correct my behavior than to send my equipment
away.

Joe

Regards,
George Lottermoser