Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lightroom scans to WEB
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Mar 25 23:07:32 2007

Hi Daniel,

FWIW, here is the workflow I used to post my recent Val gallery
(http://www.nathanfoto.com/Val/):

1) Copy the DNG files (that is what the Ricoh GRD produces) from the
card to the laptop
2) Import that subdirectory into Lightroom
3) Use Lightroom's Library module to go through the images and delete
the obvious losers (I used to do this step in separate software such as
Photo Mechanic or ACDSee--no longer necessary)
4) Create a separate Collection called Val d'Isere and assign the
surviving images to that collection
5) Make my adjustments as needed: conversion to grayscale, levels,
cropping, colour noise reduction etc. I have the sharpening set to 50 on
Lightroom's 0-100 as the default. Seems to work well.
6) For the few images that needed spotting (yes, I know, it should not
be necessary with a fixed-lens camera, but somehow a few of the images
had what looked like a smudge visible in blue sky), I opened Photoshop
CS2 from within Lightroom and used its much superior Healing Brush tool.
7) At this point, I had around 90 images in my Val d'Isere collection. I
exported all these files to a separate subdirectory, as TIFF files that
contain all the adjustments I had made. I then created another
collection (as a sub-collection of Val d'Isere) called "For web" and
assigned the 28 images that I wanted to post to the web to that collection.
8) Working in the "For web" collection, I wrote the captions in the
Library module, and then used the Web module to create the gallery that
I posted. Lightroom's default size is 450 pixels, which is too small, so
I used 750 pixels instead. One click on Export, and the gallery is ready
for uploading a couple of minutes later--this is where Lightroom really
shines.

This workflow is probably more difficult to describe than to actually
perform. I am totally sold on Lightroom as the tool for processing
digital images, which is the vast majority of what I shoot these days. I
do agree that with scanned film, which will typically need lots of
spotting, Lightroom is not the tool of choice--as you say, if you end up
opening Photoshop for every image, then you might as well work in
Photoshop all the way. But let us keep in mind that this is version 1.0
of the software, and I hope that the spotting tools will be improved in
future versions.

As you can probably tell, I really, really like this software :-)

Nathan