Subject: [Leica] Re: HD to replace JPG
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (Photo Phreak)
Date: Sun Apr 1 13:19:00 2007

Catching up on old email:

  HD as applied to radio stand for Hybrid Digital.  It has nothing to do
with enhanced quality, in fact, the results so faar are exactly opposite.

  What it is for is to allow a station to broadcast on what amounts to a
second frequency.
  It has met with a storm of controversy, but unfortunately those who are
unhappy with its problems are too small in number to change it.

Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net> wrote:
  At 02:43 PM 3/28/2007, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
>I understand that Microsoft is pushing the HD format to replace JPG.
>MS claims that HD produces better results with smaller file sizes.
>Will one of the tech mavens on the LUG explain what HD is.
>
>By the way, it seems that the initials HD are being used for
>everything. HD radio, HD television - and soon HD beer.

"HD" normally stands for "High Definition". WVTF
in Roanoke, Virginia, has an HD-FM channel. WOR
in New York broadcasts on HD AM. HD requires a
special receiver though you can generally get a
computer feed which eliminates this need.

I am unaware of an HD photo format.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!