Subject: OT RE: [Leica] IMG, Another Airplane Photo
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Apr 1 15:30:10 2007

At 05:51 PM 4/1/2007, G Hopkinson wrote:
 >Jim, just recalling my aviation history, I think that the Kurt Tank at
 >the FockeWulf works addressed this when first committing to
 >using a radial BMW engine for their new fighter. Initially a ducted
 >spinner was used but it proved to add little benefit and was
 >abandoned. FWIW, in my view easily the most handsome fighter designs
 >of the period.

Hoppy

The idea of using ducted cooling for radial
engines began with some studies conducted by
NASA's predecessor, NACA, in the 1920's.  Junkers
glommed on this and then Kurt Tank picked it
up.  The FW-190 was a remarkable flexible
platform -- the Germans tended to produce a lot
of "good for one sort of job only" aircraft but
some of their more flexible designs -- the
FW-190, the JU-88, and that absolute workhorse,
the JU-52 -- were exceptions to the rule.

Kurt Tank was a genius, as was Willi
Messerschmidt.  These guys were both gifted
designers in their own right but were also really
capable industrial managers, a rare mix.

But "handsome"?  Uh -- have you ever seen a
Spitfire?  Or a Typhoon?  Or a Mosquito?  Or, for
that matter a Mustang or a Havoc?  I have known
three or four guys who flew Spitfires and
Hurricanes, and they all had their hearts on the
Hurricane:  the Spit was a great "at the edge"
airplane but the Hurricane was a lot more of a
decent gunnery platform at slower speeds, and it
could out-turn a Bf-109E.  The FW-190 is, like
the P-47, a thug of an aircraft:  it did its job
with grand efficiency but it certainly had a face made for radio.

And note that after the War, the growing number
of successor states glommed on the HE-111 and the
Bf-109 and the P-47 and P-51 and A-20 and the
like, but the FW-190's were just scrapped.  Those
epic battles in '56 over Cairo were Israeli
B-17's against Egyptian Spitfires and
Bf-109's.  By that time, Kurt Tank was out in the East with Hindustan
Aviation.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!