Subject: [Leica] Re: new M8 IR filter report
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Apr 3 16:30:43 2007

I am probably the most vocal to use IR filters + M8 all the time.....

However, Erwin really was pretty careful in stating what the problem with
any filter is..... that you lose something in the
technical quality of your image....  reflections ( the example he so
cleverly showed) or contrast...... or something else.  So
technically he is 100% right.  Use  the filter only when you must if you
want 100% of the best you can get from the M8, or any
camera for that matter.

BUT...... there is a practical side too... one Erwin rarely makes comment
on, since he is more into the technical side....
If you only use the filter when you must, this requires.....  Putting the
filter someplace, taking your image, chimping that image
to see if there is a problem, finding where you put the filter, putting it
on the lens, then retake the picture......then remove the
filter and put it back into hiding.  Proper?  Yes.  Practical.... not really.

Use the filters, 100% of the time, and go take pictures.  Or are you good
enough ( rhetorical question aimed at precisely no one)
that you personally are not the lowest common denominator in image quality?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Am I the only one to find Erwin's suggestion about not using the
filters in general 'non-IR conditions' not that smart?

I find consistently that the files I get with the filters on are
sharper and with more colour accuracy that when not used, *just in
almost any situation*.
The exception being perhaps only under pure fluorescent illumination,
when the IR contamination seems neglectible or nonexistant.

Ed

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([Leica] Re: new M8 IR filter report)
Message from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([Leica] Re: new M8 IR filter report)