Subject: [Leica] A good while ago
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Apr 4 13:42:55 2007

Tina said:
>> No, we are now "content providers" not photographers.  We are not the
creatives anymore, the art directors are.  This is all microstock
speak.  Just another reason to give less of the share and no rights
to the "content providers."<<<

Hi Tina & George,
Photographers rarely were considered high priority people in relation to the
journalists on a newspaper. Sure there was usually the "king shooter" of the
paper or agency. But generally the regular guys and gals were near second
class folks. Occasionally recognized for talent if a photograph won a prize
and the paper built that up on behalf of the paper.

Today and the past several years "those who are talented and have the gift
to see and feel photo moments" are considered nobodies. Or deemed "content
providers" as a lower class citizen.  WHY?

Well it comes down to the bottom line bean counters and pay out as little as
possible for the "art" required for any use, published, TV and web.

That and........ a simple technological monster, the digital camera in the
hands of the bean counters and second rate photo editors and art directors.

Quite simply put..............
"Everyone with a digital camera has become the photographer of the moment
because we can get him/her for peanuts!" Or better..... "give them a credit
line!" Or...."we don't need to pay them because they love to see their
pictures published!"

But in reality it's this..... "Good photography doesn't happen because you
use a digital camera! It happens because you know what makes a good
photograph!"

Unfortunately the second rate bean counters and art director photo editors
know this, but they don't care because.... "Charlie the super whiz on the
PhotoShop machine can do wonders with anything and make it look great!"

And that folks along with the every body digi shooter so called photographer
combined with dumb ass editor art directors is why we're in this situation!

Put all that aside.....and I'd rather be a photojournalist doing what I love
with a passion, "documenting a situation!"
ted

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] A good while ago)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] A good while ago)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] A good while ago)