Subject: [Leica] re: Exposure and Development
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Apr 9 02:50:11 2007

On 03/03/2007, at 1:34, Lottermoser George wrote:

> The point I wished to make in starting this thread:
> Fine photographic technique requires that the photographer 'know'
> where s/he wants shadows and highlights fall on the negative,
> transparency and/or chip. This requires knowledge of how to control
> the shadows and highlights through the use of exposure and
> development of the material, whether chemical or digital.
>
> If Mark controls this by concentrating on perfect highlight
> placement for his process without concern for the shadows - that's
> fine - that's his technique and apparently he achieves the results
> he desires.
>
> I, as others, prefer, when using black and white film, to control
> shadows through exposure and highlights through development; unless
> the subject demands a different approach.
>
> What we want to avoid is over or under exposure and over or under
> development - implying errors - rather than fine technique.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george@imagist.com

Hey, I know I'm late on this one, but I'm home again after a 10 day
workshop in Tasmania with Richard White and Bruce Barnbaum. All I can
say, is that I have now been encouraged to put my shadows on Zone 4
and print them Zone 3, and it seems to be working: I'm sending off my
first results to the Lug print group this round.

Good to be back

Cheers

Alastair

Replies: Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] re: Exposure and Development)