Subject: [Leica] NPR comments on photography
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri Apr 20 21:00:03 2007

That was my reaction, too, Ted, when I first read about the issue in
The Blade (I live in Toledo). Then I realized that doing so would
have left out of the picture the towel or whatever it is bearing the
number of one of the dead players--which would have been a snub to
his memory and bitterly shocking and painful for his family, I think.

I agree that there's no misrepresentation of the spirit of the scene
in Photoshopping out the legs, just removal of distracting clutter
for the sake of compositional cleanness. Nevertheless, I feel that
the legs should have been left in. In this case it's not a matter of
"truthfulness", as no substantive lie is being passed off as truth;
it's a matter of principles, the principle that photojournalism is
about accurately depicting messy reality, which is full of clutter
and annoyances and distractions. Compositional niceties are for art
shots. Allowing this sort of thing to be done in straight
photojournalism is stepping onto the slippery slope that leads (not
far at all, IMHO) to the basketball-added photo (which also doesn't
misrepresent the spirit of the scene, or Truth, or a potential
Reality)--and beyond to smoke-augmented Beirut--and beyond. And in
all instances, it's a matter of pragmatism as well: The only way to
maintain the readers' full trust, not to mention the editors' and the
Pulitzer judges', etc., is to rigorously "play it as it lays".

--howard

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] NPR comments on photography)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] NPR comments on photography)