Subject: [Leica] NPR comments on photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Apr 21 07:21:18 2007

I realize this topic is beginning to beat on a dead horse, but it's some
troubling, because I haven't seen the anger I expected about lying and
cheating by a photographer who was looked up to by many for his photo
talent.

Those of you who've never "worked as a professional news photographer or
photojournalist on assignment" where getting the picture was paramount to
keeping our jobs, may not understand what the meaning of "making contact
with the subject" is all about. Truth & trust make it work.

The one thing that allows us to connect with the subject is trust, period.
We the carriers of the equipment create the trust human to human, not camera
to human. Break the trust and we are dead in the water!

It was tough enough in the good old days to gain the trust of the subject or
subjects in the simplest of terms. But we did, in many cases it was trust
that allowed us entrance to their world or life moments of tragedy.

Today when one of the members is caught cheating and lying with their camera
and ancillary electronic modifying equipment, it illustrates we're no more
trustworthy than lying cheating politicians. And it doesn't get much lower
than that!

If people feel we'll take their picture, then build "other stuff" around
them to enhance a news moment, we'll make it almost impossible to have
cooperation whether CEO or peasant!

As I said about the basket ball insertion, no body died because of it so it
seemed "no big deal." But most readers would automatically think, "cool
picture, great shot that guy is good!" However, when they learn they've been
hoodwinked? Then what do they think about the great picture photographer?

"Hey he cheated, the ball wasn't even there! What about the rest of those
news photographers? Do they cheat as well?"

Right at that moment every one of us are blackballed about telling the truth
with our Leica trustworthy camera's.

This subject maybe of little interest to many of you, but to people like
some of our crew who make their living from recording life as we see it,
it's a major item. Certainly how our photography is accepted in being an
honest representation of life at 1/250th of a second! Or whatever shutter
speed!

ted

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] NPR comments on photography)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] NPR comments on photography)