Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W from color
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue May 15 18:09:24 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Len wrote:

> As I only shoot color in my M8, is there a better way
> to convert to BW? All my BW photos are with film since I like the
> look of
> film and I enjoy my own developing and using older cameras and lenses.

On the subject of B&W - what are the subtle differences between B&W
images derived from scanning a conventional B&W negative, scanning a
B&W chromogenic negative, converting a scanned color negative to B&W
in PS grayscale, converting a digital color image to B&W, and taking
a B&W image in the camera?

On my 20" iMac monitor, I can't see any real differences between
images created by the various methods. At least not for those images
presented on the LUG.

I must confess, I only use conventional film in my Leica and shoot
digital images in color and rarely make comparison shots of the same
scene. So i have no personal basis for judgment.

Larry Z