Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed May 23 20:25:02 2007

At least this problem has a simple fix: don't put the M8 on a tripod
with a heavy lens.

Actually, who would put their Ms on tripods except to shoot wall
charts and rulers anyway :-)

At 07:29 PM 5/23/2007, Jerry Lehrer wrote:
>Jim und Bob,
>
>I see that the M8 does not have a stud on the opposite end of the
>body which would be engaged
>by a lug on the base plate.  ALL my M Leicas have that stud-lug that
>hooks the base to the body
>before the latch is turned,
>
>Speaking as an aerospace stress analyst with over 50 years of
>experience, plus a degree in metallurgy,
>I assert that the M8 has a totally inadequate base locking design.
>To use the term we use, it is NFG.
>
>I agree that this puts me in the "complainer" category, and I don't
>even own an M8!
>
>Jerry

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure)
Message from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure)
Message from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure)