Subject: [Leica] -Another-Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu May 24 07:38:14 2007

> However, it does something on my G5 iMac I don't like;
> when the energy-saver puts the system to sleep, it
> reads the hard drive as having been improperly
> removed, the system wakes back up, won't go to sleep,
> and I keep getting the error message that a USB device
> has been improperly removed.

A USB hard drive has two separate mechanisms, usually designed and
manufactured by different companies:
 * The hard drive itself
 * The USB interconnect enclosure.
The USB interconnect enclosure contains electronics that obey USB protocols,
send commands to the disk, and send disk responses back to the computer.
There is a fairly significant amount of electronics in this enclosure.

The situation that you describe is a failure of the enclosure electronics,
either because it is designed wrong, because it is configured wrong, or
because some part of it has failed. I just looked up your WDG1SU5000N drive
on the Western Digital website, and it does not have any configuration
switches or knobs or settings, so this is probably a design error in the
enclosure electronics, probably because the designers focused on PCs instead
of Macs.

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] -Another-Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)
Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] -Another-Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)