Subject: [Leica] Re: Backups
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu May 24 18:40:20 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Bob wrote:

>  I'm talking about just copying my image files from my
> computer's hard drive over to an external hard drive as a form of
> back up.
>
> Is there a reason this is not a good idea?
>
> Should I instead (or in addition?) be burning the image files to Gold
> DVDs and storing them there?
>
> Even with sales tax these Western Digital drives work out to about 30?
> per GB which seems pretty cheap to me.

To use hard drives solely for archival backup seems a waste. Good
quality DVDs store 4.7 Gb and cost about 50 cents each when purchased
in bulk. If you have a DVD burner, simply store your files on the
DVD. With the right software (I use Toast 6) you can store files in
multiple sessions and back up the disc every day. When the disc is
full, make a copy and store it in a cold dark place. It should last
as long as you do.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Backups)