Subject: [Leica] Re: Backup
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu May 24 20:23:57 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 10:43 PM, Brian wrote:

>> To use hard drives solely for archival backup seems a waste. Good
>> quality DVDs store 4.7 Gb and cost about 50 cents each when
>> purchased in bulk.
>
> True enough, but I typically shoot 5-7GB of images in one day. That
> means I'd need 2 DVDs per day, which becomes a management and
> storage problem. A 500GB hard drive will hold 3 months' worth of
> pictures and costs US$100; that's approximately the same price as
> the DVDs, vastly more convenient, and in my opinion is more likely
> to last a long time.

Good logic but bad math. Assuming you shoot 6 Gb a day on the
average, 90 days of photography would produce 540 Gb of image data.
If you stored the data on DVD discs you would require 115 DVDs at a
cost of $57.50. Of course you would exceed the capacity of your 500
Gb hard drive so you would have to buy another. Incidentally Staples
sells 100 packs of DVD discs for $29. Sometimes even cheaper on sales.

Incidentally, 6Gb of 10 Mb pictures is 600 pictures a day, every day.
How do you find time for anything else?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Backup)
Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: Backup)