Subject: [Leica] Re: Backups
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu May 24 18:45:37 2007

> To use hard drives solely for archival backup seems a waste. Good quality
> DVDs store 4.7 Gb and cost about 50 cents each when purchased in bulk.

True enough, but I typically shoot 5-7GB of images in one day. That means
I'd need 2 DVDs per day, which becomes a management and storage problem. A
500GB hard drive will hold 3 months' worth of pictures and costs US$100;
that's approximately the same price as the DVDs, vastly more convenient, and
in my opinion is more likely to last a long time.

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Re: Backups)