Subject: [Leica] Re: Backup
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu May 24 21:00:19 2007

> Good logic but bad math. Assuming you shoot 6 Gb a day on the average, 90
> days of photography would produce 540 Gb of image data. If you stored the
> data on DVD discs you would require 115 DVDs at a cost of $57.50.

I don't like to put more than one batch of pictures on a given DVD, because
it makes filing and labeling them more difficult. So to store 90 days of
pictures I would use 180 DVDs.

 Of course you would exceed the capacity of your 500 Gb hard drive so you
would have to buy another.

Only when it's full. A 500GB hard drive that costs US$100 can store 5GB per
dollar, which is the number that matters to me.

Incidentally Staples sells 100 packs of DVD discs for $29. Sometimes even
cheaper on sales.

Seven-11 sells cheeseburgers, too. I use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R blanks, which run
about $40 per hundred postpaid at supermediastore.com. All of the experts on
archival storage seem to agree that the best way to maximize the life of a
DVD is to store it in a jewel case. Slimline jewel cases are about $20 per
hundred postpaid. So in aggregate, these DVDs properly kept can store about
8GB per dollar.

Yes, DVDs are a bit cheaper, but not all that much cheaper, and I don't
consider them to be as reliable. A couple of times a year I do record my
most important information on DVDs and put them in a fireproof place.

> Incidentally, 6Gb of 10 Mb pictures is 600 pictures a day, every day. How
> do you find time for anything else?

My Canon digital camera can shoot 600 pictures in about 10 minutes. I think
my M8 would require 20 minutes to take 600 pictures. The hard part is not
taking pictures, it's looking at them, choosing which ones to keep, etc.  I
admit to being trigger-happy and always taking way more shots than I need.
Maybe it's because in all of the CSI shows on television, the CSIs take
bunches of exposures all at once, on motor drive, and I want to be cool like
them.

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Backup)