Subject: [Leica] Re: Backups
From: heninger at adobe.com (Wade Heninger)
Date: Sun May 27 08:10:59 2007

>>> To use hard drives solely for archival backup seems a waste. Good
>>> quality DVDs store 4.7 Gb and cost about 50 cents each when purchased
>>> in bulk.

DVDs are not a stable media for long term backup.  I certainly wouldn't
trust my picture archive to a DVD backup scheme.

The only media that has proved itself viable for long term backup is hard
drives.  And you gotta make sure you back them up as they fail too.

Sometimes it makes storing your negatives in plastic sheets in a binder by
date seem simple, but its what you gotta do.

Digital isn't cheaper, its just different.

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
u s e r  e x p e r i e n c e
a d o b e  s y s t e m s ,  i n c

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Backups)