Subject: [Leica] IMG: Chinese Muslims
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jun 1 06:48:32 2007

Tina Manley offered: in B&W
>>>You guys are tough critics ;-) I really appreciate the
feedback.  I've been working on these photos and really think I like
them better in B&W.  What do you think?
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/china<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
The B&W in this case wins hands down on the mark.

As much as I like the colour in offering the age and real life look of "old
place" The b&W go right to the mark.... the men in prayer. I prefer those
where it's one person as it seems clean, simple and a quiet prayer moment.

I need not see deeper into the Mosque as the power of the picture is the
lone man and one pair of shoes.

Your first photograph through the door of the lone man and one pair of shoes
is a beauty simply because of it's wonderful simplicity. The single pair of
shoes tells so much rather than the, what is usually shown of Muslim's in
prayer, a mosque full of men on their knees. That's not a negative remark
but a visual comment of observation.

However in Christian and other faiths we have group prayer moments also.

In this single lone man and one pair of shoes illustrates a great deal more
as the viewer can feel the quiet of the moment and thoughts seem to be held
in a kind of quiet reverence as not to interfere with this prayers.

A beautiful quiet moment.

ted