Subject: [Leica] Re: Backups
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Jun 2 09:13:18 2007

> > A 500GB hard drive that costs US$100 can store 5GB per dollar
> Can you point me to (recommend) brand and place to purchase such drives?

I buy bare "OEM" drives and connect them via a separate USB hookup that I
re-use from disk to disk. I get the disks locally at "dot com depot" in
Santa Clara (408) 738-3895. I'm sure they would sell to you mail order if
you phone them. Their stock and prices vary from day to day; at this instant
their price on a Seagate 500GB IDE Barracuda is $129.95 but I bet that if I
drove down there they'd have something cheaper.

I buy drives about 4 times a year; it is pointless to stockpile them. I like
Seagate Barracuda drives; right now I am using the 500GB drives for archival
storage because I got a great price on 3 of them a couple of months ago, but
if I see a great price on some smaller size I might buy those next time.
Recently the 400GB Seagate IDE drives were going for about $66 on eBay (see
item 260116726684, for example). Those disks (400GB Seagate IDE) are quite
regularly available on Amazon.com under
$100.

To put data onto a disk, I attach one of these to it and plug it into my
computer:

   http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=13779

Then when I'm done, I remove the disk from the USB harness, put it into a
Glad bag, and put it into a fire-resistant strongbox.

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Re: Backups)
Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] mounting large prints)
Message from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Re: Backups)