Subject: [Leica] Re: Backups
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Jun 2 10:49:06 2007

>  That vantec gadget  just plugs into a drive, no enclosure needed?

Yup.

> Talk about simple.

It's not QUITE as simple as it ought to be, because current hard drives need
more electricity than a USB connector can provide, so in addition to being
plugged into the Vantec gadget, the hard drive also must be connected to a
power supply. When you buy the Vantec gadget they include that power supply
inside the box, so there's nothing complicated about finding or buying it,
but it's one more cord you have to deal with.

> Before you pack away your drives in storage, do you catalog the contents?

No. I just record the date, and I write the date on the drive with a laundry
pen.

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re: Backups)
Message from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Re: Backups)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Backups)