Subject: [Leica] Re: $99 Samsung
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Thu Jun 7 17:41:27 2007

Ric Carter wrote:
Phil Swango wrote a few weeks ago about a $99 Samsung 6 megapixel
camera he picked up.

What was the model, Phil?
==========================

Same one, Ric.  S630.  But I have a couple of comments.  First, the Samsung
has a menu setting for type of battery.  The default setting is NIMH.  When
I first got mine the switch was set to AA and my first NIMHs didn't last
very long either.  Then I changed the switch back to NIMH, recharged the
2300 mah batteries and have had no further problems.  I use the camera every
day and only recharge every few days.  I've never kept track of the actual
number of shots but I haven't had a (NIMH) battery run down since that first
incident.  Considering it's a 2-AA system I'd say battery life is about
average.  Maybe not as robust as my Canon, with 4 AAs.  I also keep an extra
set of charged batteries in my bag.

I'm quite happy with the Samsung but there are so many variables in picking
a digital camera that it's hard to advise someone else.  I also have a Canon
A610, which is a "better" camera, but I prefer using the Samsung.  For one
thing it's a lot lighter.  I really like having a cheap, worry-free camera
in my bag at all times and if I lost it I'd buy another.

I posted some Samsung shots a while back.  If anyone's interested, here's
the link again:

http://picasaweb.google.com/paswango/Samsung

--
Phil Swango