Subject: [Leica] M8 and 75 Summilux, the DAS study
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Mon Jun 11 07:31:03 2007

Dante,

I use the 75 Summilux on my M8. When I first tried the pair, I found
a back focus issue at the largest openings. It was not as bad as with
the Noctilux but bad enough to make me start focusing in front of the
target at close range. The only cure I found was to adjust the
rangefinder of the M8. Now every lens I own focuses properly in the
distance range I use them. My APO 90 and 135 don't focus to infinity
properly after the adjustment. In that case I either utilize the
depth of field scale or just set the lens to infinity.

To me the 75 Summilux closely resembles the Noctilux at the wider
openings. To me both lenses are slightly soft, the Noctilux more so,
at the wide open stops and sharpen up considerably when stopped down.
I do not apply sharpening to either lens but rather prefer to keep
the wide open softness as part of the character of the photo.

I hope this helps,
Len